who we are

a literary culture is any community in which the written and spoken word is recognized for its transformative power.

we are that community.

sure, we like literature. but we also like poetry. and music. and dance. and art. and photography. we like it all, and here we can talk about it all. here, (almost) anything goes.

2.10.2009

I can't seem to find the author of this poem. But i found it interesting.

I want these to be words that affect you.
Words that have meaning, evoke feeling.
Words that are not self-important.
I want them to have meaning for us.
I want to feel them, experience them.
I want them to be not just words.

2 comments:

Scot said...

Harking back to the legendary exchange between expatriate and alex: is it possible for a poem to be un-poetic?

For me, I like the idea in these 6 lines. But I think the cover illustration for 11.40.7 volume 4.1 is more poetic.

lkw said...

i like this. i tried, but i couldn't find the author, either. it came up on a lot of myspace profile, actually, but nowhere with an actual author. regardless, the sentiment is still the same, and i think it says something for the (what i think is an) innate human longing to express...everything. life. self. perceptions. especially for those of us who are writers, there's always a struggle to choose words that represent entire galaxies of shades of meaning beyond the few trite lines in the OED.